It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:42 pm 
Donating Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/EVM12L-designed-thi ... dZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:59 pm 
Mark II

yeah i have. i just posted a reply on the topic diy thiele cab plans.they are located 20 miles from me. they look well constructed but they are a different size than boogie thieles. boogie thieles are made so the short heads will fit on top of it. the internal volume is the same on both cabs. they look like they are using a truck bedliner coating on the cabs. would be interesting to hear one. an unloaded one for $230 may be a little high but if you have an evm12l laying around may be worth the price.plus you can't get a new boogie thiele with an EV.

THIELE 1X12 EV
G FLEX 2X12-EV LOADED
1979 LES PAUL CUSTOM
1996 LES PAUL CLASSIC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:21 pm 
Mark II

I bought one and am waiting for it to arrive.

I will say that the builder, Scott, is very helpful. He agreed to match the color of my 1984 beat up MKIIC+ at no extra charge, even though it is a "custom" color for him. I sent him some pics. He also went to look at a MKI reissue and match the color, then fade it to compensate my the age of my amp.

Obviously the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak, when the cab arrives and the EVM 12L goes in. Dealing with him, however, has been a very good experience so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:58 pm 
Mark IV

I wondered if they would sell one without the goofy front grill? I have a few EV's 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:10 pm 
Mark II

I think his idea is to make these cabs road tough. The finish is like spray on truck bed liner. The metal screens are probably to provide better speaker protection than grill cloth. I am thinking about asking him to make a grill for my MKIIC+ to keep my two year old from sticking his finger through my Black Shadow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:36 pm 
Mark II

hello all, my name is tom white and i am the other half of boogafunk cabs. i just checked with the mods and they say it's ok for me to answer specific questions and give some specs of our cabinets. i don't want to overstep my bounds or have any bad blood on this forum. feel free to ask me anything about them. (i kinda like the "goofy" grills, but we've made them with stock bent metal grills and cloth. i ride a harley so my love for chrome sometimes gets the better of me)

btw, this is our test rig, he he...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:06 pm 
Road King

Why is the port on the opposite side and how does that funky pine ply sound ?

I think it may mate well with two cabs, each with a port on the opposite end. Those would throw out some serious low end in a spectrum.

Nice work BTW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:03 pm 
Mark II

the port placement will not affect the sound, but i have built a couple with the port right. they sounded exactly the same as the standard port left model. i would actually couple the ports together towards the inside for a horizontal placement (or both on the floor) but for a vertical stack both ports on the same side is desirable. i really think, however, that one thiele cab ev loaded is enough for almost any gig. (any thiele, not just mine) 2 cabs are just stupid loud (not that that's such a bad thing, though)

oh, the plywood sounds quite fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:15 pm 
Single Recto

these look quite cool!!

ever since i got my mark2b back in '81, i've wanted a thiele cab, but never found one at the right time (meaning, when i wasn't poor!)

hehe

i had 4 EV SRO's at one time, and i loved those speakers.......

alas, i ended up trading them in for some gear, including a pair of Roland 1x12 closed back cabs, which are great cabs, light, and i've loaded everything in them from another SRO to jbls, high watt celestions, and finally, greenbacks, which is what i use currently.

how would a low watt speaker (i attenuate the volume down, for recording) work in this cab designed for high volume...

and, how easy would it be to install a Weber Beam Blocker behind the metal grille?

i think they look kick ass! 8)

BatsBrew
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/batsbrew
https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew

Post subject: Post removed.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:29 pm 
Post removed.

Last edited by Koprofag on Tue May 14, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:41 pm 
Mark II

i would have to crunch the numbers for a greenback. odds are it would work well but not optimally. you might have better luck with a standard enclosure for a greenback, however it might be awesome. the problem with making a 112 with a greenback is that it's power handling limits it. i prefer 112's with at least 60-75 watt speakers or so. i always liked greenbacks in multiple driver enclosures. for a super low volume studio setting 1 greenback in a slightly large open back/halfback cab would be quite sweet. or for that matter a celestion vintage 10 works well too.

just depends on what tone you're after

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:54 pm 
Donating Member

hey boogafunk, where are you guys located in huntsville??I live in the east limestone/athens area-welcome aboard and good luck !!

-black cat bone for good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:11 pm 
Mark II

our shop is at 8510 whitesburg dr. that's in south huntsville. come by if you're in the area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:14 pm 
Donating Member

cool...will do..my old neighborhood..where on whitesburg in relation to the thirsty turtle??(only landmark that comes to mind right now as I swill abrew...)

-black cat bone for good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:36 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Hey lester! this is Scottie, other half of Boogafunk cabs. I just registered here but ive been lurking for years. We are on the south end of Whitesburg near the Ol Gin. Come by any time, we are always there late!
BTW. did you by any chance used to talk on the cb radio, if so i think ive met you years ago! my parents live in Athens on mooresville rd. course im 37 and have been gone from home a looooong time!
Anyhoo glad to be here and meet all you guys, feel fre to ask us anything, anytime! we are super gearheads ourselves. I have to run now and explain to my wife why i have joined yet another talk forum! haha
peace!

Mesa Simulclass 2:90
EVM 12L loaded Thieles
Les Paul DC Amber burst AAA
Les Paul DC Black Burst AAA
62 Strat re issue / Selling or trading

Price Cuts on Over 4,000 Items at MusiciansFriend!