Mesa Boogie Forum

The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:02 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Hey all,

I'm trying to decide what cab to buy to pair with my RK2 head. I've been running it through a 5150 slant cab for a while and I'm sick of the thin buzziness that cab has.

About a week ago I was able to A/B a slant Stiletto and a slant Recto cab - I liked the Recto one more, the Stiletto had sort of the same thinness to it that my 5150 cab has. My band plays a style that's sort in between modern alternative rock and metal. We're not metal, but we have some heavier moments where I use that Ch 4 Modern sound.

So anyway, I want a straight cab for a couple of reasons - 1. better bass response, and 2. easier to transport.

Here's the issue - both of these cabs are special order from Mesa according to every store I've talked to in the state. Basically they say I'd be committed to buying it for them to even get it in. Obviously I'm not gonna go spending $1000 on something I can't even try out before buying.

Questions for anyone who does have experience with these:

1. The store I bought the RK from told me that a straight Stiletto is gonna sound similar to a slant Recto because of the increase baffle distance and better bass response. Is this actually true? If it's true I'd probably be ok with doing this, but I'm really hesitant again to order something without hearing it.

2. Related - is the straight Recto a significant boost in bass compared to the slant Recto? I'm not sure I want that if so, it was already quite a bit with the slant I tried...

3. Is there anyone in Phoenix who has either of these cabs and would be willing to let me come over with the RK2 and try them out? PM me if so and we'll talk.

Thanks!
Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:06 pm 
Triple Recto

from all the posts I've read here in the past, the difference in bass response is minimal between a slant and a straight. The only "famous guitarist" who has stated (to my knowledge) that a straight has more bass is Mark Tremonti. It would almost be such that you have to know what you're listening for in order to find it...and IMO, at that point you've become too picky and may hear things that don't exist.

With that said, a straight Stilleto WILL NOT sound like a slant Recto cabinet. No way, no how. One is much bigger than the other, regardless of baffle. Recto cabs define the nu-metal sound. They give you lots of chugging bass. Stilleto cabs are what were once called "traditional" cabs because they have the same size as old Marshall cabs. They give a much tighter bass response, thus making them conducive to classic rock and speed metal.

'92 Dual Recto #339 Rev. D
'84 Mark IIC+ Lukather "Ethel Merman" Coliseum
Mesa Standard 4x12
Sold:
'92 Dual Recto #029 Rev. C
'92 Dual Recto #???? Rev. E
'05 Dual Recto 3ch
'84 Mark IIC+ Simul Reverb 1x12
http://www.TheBoogieArchives.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:05 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Well the thing is I heard this directly from John Petrucci about the straights having better bass response and he also told me he thought the Stiletto/Traditional were tighter for heavier stuff. (I do the DT tab books in case you're wondering how I know him...)

I thought the exact opposite though trying the slant Stiletto vs. the Recto. The Recto seemed like it had way more chunk to me.

Anyway, I managed to find a straight Recto tonight at a Guitar Center a ways away, drove out there and A/B'ed it between a slant and I did think it sounded better. I'm worried that's psychological though now if what you say is true...

I think I might call up Mesa tomorrow and ask if they have any specific data or whatnot on what the true sonic difference is between the straight and slant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:59 am 
Single Recto

Not really true, the stiletto cab is a true straight cab which means more internal volume. I would say it is like the standard slant, but more of in the middle of the standard and the stiletto slanted.

I have owned both tradtional cabs (stiletto) and go on this from experience.

Now as to cab shopping, you also have to be carefull with the mesa cabs, if it is a newer cab it has the normal celestion V30's and will be rated at 240 watts. If it is a older cab it will have the specially voiced V30's that have better lows, little less mid's and will be rated at 280 watts. By the way, this has been verified by a mesa endorser who spoke to his rep. Mesa went back to the normal V30's because that is what people wanted and what the music scene was going towards.

Many stores out there still have alot of the older cabs so that is why you have to look. By what you are saying, i think a stiletto, AKA traditional cab with the older V30's would probaly suit you nice.

Elpelotero wrote:
With that said, a straight Stilleto WILL NOT sound like a slant Recto cabinet. No way, no how. One is much bigger than the other, regardless of baffle. Recto cabs define the nu-metal sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:14 am 
Dual Recto

I owned a Rectifer 4x12...hated the bass response with a rectifier...always sounded muddy and undefined to me.

Swapped it for a traditional 4x12 and was blown away.

Go for the traditional...IMO, it's a better cab.

Barren Branches- SoundCloud
Barren Branches- YouTube
Barren Branches- Facebook
Barren Branches- Myspace

Fractal Audio Axe FX
PRS and EBMM Guitars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:07 pm 
Triple Recto

siggy14 wrote:
Not really true, the stiletto cab is a true straight cab which means more internal volume. I would say it is like the standard slant, but more of in the middle of the standard and the stiletto slanted.

I have owned both tradtional cabs (stiletto) and go on this from experience.

Now as to cab shopping, you also have to be carefull with the mesa cabs, if it is a newer cab it has the normal celestion V30's and will be rated at 240 watts. If it is a older cab it will have the specially voiced V30's that have better lows, little less mid's and will be rated at 280 watts. By the way, this has been verified by a mesa endorser who spoke to his rep. Mesa went back to the normal V30's because that is what people wanted and what the music scene was going towards.

Many stores out there still have alot of the older cabs so that is why you have to look. By what you are saying, i think a stiletto, AKA traditional cab with the older V30's would probaly suit you nice.

Elpelotero wrote:
With that said, a straight Stilleto WILL NOT sound like a slant Recto cabinet. No way, no how. One is much bigger than the other, regardless of baffle. Recto cabs define the nu-metal sound.

It pays to have experience :) I was trying to stereotype it too much, but I guess they can sound closer than I thought.

'92 Dual Recto #339 Rev. D
'84 Mark IIC+ Lukather "Ethel Merman" Coliseum
Mesa Standard 4x12
Sold:
'92 Dual Recto #029 Rev. C
'92 Dual Recto #???? Rev. E
'05 Dual Recto 3ch
'84 Mark IIC+ Simul Reverb 1x12
http://www.TheBoogieArchives.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:22 pm 
Dual Recto

Btw...if you'd like, I'd be more than happy to let you fun my traditional 4x12 with your RK....only problem is I'm in Green Valley...about 40 minutes south of Tucson. It would be a drive for you.

Barren Branches- SoundCloud
Barren Branches- YouTube
Barren Branches- Facebook
Barren Branches- Myspace

Fractal Audio Axe FX
PRS and EBMM Guitars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:11 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I lived in Tucson up until about 2 months ago actually... it'd be a bit of a drive for me to come down to Green Valley now tho, yeah. Thanks for the offer though.

I think what I'm gonna do is actually try to hatch up a way to get out to the Mesa factory and actually try them side by side - I have family in San Francisco I could go visit. Anyone know if they'll let you do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:22 pm 
Bottle Rocket

siggy14 wrote:

Ugh, this is yet another variable now... I called every Mesa dealer in the state and no one even carries the Stiletto straight cab, it's all special orders where you have to buy it before even trying it.

Price Cuts on Over 4,000 Items at MusiciansFriend!