Mesa Boogie Forum

The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:55 pm 
Donating Member

I mean really! Mine died at seven months, there's a Deuce FS here where he mentions the cable has gone bad after only a few months, and I'm fairly certain I've heard about others.

It's a simple stereo cable. I don't get how they could just "die". Neither the channel selection or solo boost works. My local dealer said to check the solder joints on the angled plug, but they look fine, as does the other plug. I think I've only taken my amp out of my basement around ten times since I bought it.

Recently, I had a Gorilla (remember those guys?) cable die after 16 years service. The first ten of those it got used/walked on/tangled up/abused at least two to three times a week.

M/B can't find a supplier who's cable won't last even a year?

4x12 Half-Back
SGs, Jrs, and Strats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:30 pm 
Mark IV

The foot pedal cable that came with my Deuce is crappy quality IMO. Won't even roll up nice like the Planet Wave cables I use. Better to get a back up and keep it with your gear..

Stiletto Deuce II, MKIV, Lonestar Classic, Recto, 65 Deluxe Reverb, Marshall Plexi, Music Man, Lab Series L5 (All gone)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:17 pm 
Mark IV

Yea,, im the guy who has the Deuce for sale and mentioned the footswitch cable that went bad and replaced it with a purple cable.
The cables sold with the amp are fairly cheap cables. I once turned on my amp and had no function of the footcontrol at all. Needless to say I panicked and eventually figured out it was the cable. It was simply a wire inside had broken loose from the solder joint at the plug. I wound up resoldering the cable and it worked fine after that. I ended up buying the above mentioned purple cable from Radio Shack as a replacement and found it to be much heavier duty so I tossed the boogie black cable.
If you replace these cables just make sure they are either stereo cables or I believe they are called RTS cables===Ring tip sleeze.
You will notice two rings at the end of the plug compared to just one ring at the end of an instument cable. An instrument cable will work but only allows you to control just one function on your two function footswitch,
hence two rings,,, two functions. I called mesa to find this out and Mike told me what I needed but they never offered a replacement. I didnt feel like begging for one,, but then again maybe they know they are cheap crap cables and felt id be much better off going to radio shack for a heavy duty purple cable that works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:50 am 
Mark II

I repaired mine 2x, but the solder joints look like they just disolved after a while. I called MB and they sent me a new one at no charge

Les Paul Studio
Modified Gibson Gothic SG
Peavey Wolfgang Special

http://www.facebook.com/rivermudrocks
http://www.rivermud.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:15 am 
Mark III

By the sounds of it from you guys, I'm glad I'm using my G Major to change channels and boost for solo :shock:

Boss GT10 and Morley Bad Horsie II wah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:05 am 
Mark II

lockbody wrote:
I mean really! Mine died at seven months, there's a Deuce FS here where he mentions the cable has gone bad after only a few months, and I'm fairly certain I've heard about others.

It's a simple stereo cable. I don't get how they could just "die". Neither the channel selection or solo boost works. My local dealer said to check the solder joints on the angled plug, but they look fine, as does the other plug. I think I've only taken my amp out of my basement around ten times since I bought it.

Recently, I had a Gorilla (remember those guys?) cable die after 16 years service. The first ten of those it got used/walked on/tangled up/abused at least two to three times a week.

M/B can't find a supplier who's cable won't last even a year?

Holy smoke, my just died before my Saturday gig - it is less than a year old! At sound check that Stiletto wouldn't change channels - really screwed me up..I called Mesa and they are throwing in a new one but its going to take 2 - 3 weeks per Guitar Gallery!

Tim

'92 Dual Rec #602 RF-1E
'06 Gibson LP VOS '59 Faded Cherry Sunburst
Esteves 9C Classical
'05 Eric Johnson Strat
'91 Gibson J200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:19 am 
Mark III

f%&#

i thought it was just me. yea, cable died too after less than a year as well. right now i'm using just a regular guitar cable but this allows only channel switching, and the solo button doesnt work. cheap ass cable in an otherwise great amp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:20 am 
sorry - cannot howl with the wolfs. all ACE FS cable are OK after 18 months. I only use one. the rest is done from the backside with usual mono cables. Will share two original with the first who want to pay transportation costs from HK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:09 pm 
Mark IV

I had my footswitch cable fail on me twice, both times during gigs. The first time I lost the ability to switch channels and had to keep flipping the switch on the amp.
I got the thing soldered up and two gigs later I lost the volume boost. I took it back to my Mesa dealer and they gave me a new one. I took it home, plugged it in and it didn’t work.
The moral of this story is do not replace the cable with the same Mesa cable.
I bought one from Guitar-Cable.com and have not looked back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:28 pm 
Donating Member

Yeah, I had a show Saturday night and forgot to buy a new cable earlier in the day, so I just grabbed an el-cheapo TRS patch cable out of my patchbay and a headphone extension and used them. Worked like a champ.

I've got a good mind to leave it as is to see if it makes it over 7mos.

4x12 Half-Back
SGs, Jrs, and Strats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:28 pm 
Mark IV

Well today it happened... the sh!t foot switch cable packed it in today!!!! The only crappy thing with this amp.... Wow... lasted just over a month!

Stiletto Deuce II, MKIV, Lonestar Classic, Recto, 65 Deluxe Reverb, Marshall Plexi, Music Man, Lab Series L5 (All gone)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:13 am 
Mark IV

lockbody wrote:
Yeah, I had a show Saturday night and forgot to buy a new cable earlier in the day, so I just grabbed an el-cheapo TRS patch cable out of my patchbay and a headphone extension and used them. Worked like a champ.

Are you talking about the mini stereo cables you get a Radio Shack??!! LMAO

Too funny! I have one for my ipod! and a couple of 1/4" stereo adapters LOL I know those would last longer! And cheaper than the long distance telephone call to Mesa to get a replacement! For an amp coupany that makes high quality amps...what would it cost to include a good quality cable for the foot pedal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:20 am 
Donating Member

srf399 wrote:
lockbody wrote:

Are you talking about the mini stereo cables you get a Radio Shack??!! LMAO

Too funny! I have one for my ipod! and a couple of 1/4" stereo adapters LOL I know those would last longer! And cheaper than the long distance telephone call to Mesa to get a replacement! For an amp coupany that makes high quality amps...what would it cost to include a good quality cable for the foot pedal?

Well, they're 1/4" but they are from Radio Shack. :D

4x12 Half-Back
SGs, Jrs, and Strats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:28 am 
Single Recto

any balanced cable will work. I have had my Stiletto cable for nearly a year and it is fine....but I do have another in my gig bag so I'm safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:32 am 
Single Recto

any balanced cable will work. I have had my Stiletto cable for nearly a year and it is fine....but I do have another in my gig bag so I'm safe.

Price Cuts on Over 4,000 Items at MusiciansFriend!